Love in the Name of Christ (Love INC) is a faith-based non-profit ministry that works with a network of over 190 churches in Mecklenburg County. The mission of Love INC is to mobilize believers in Christ to meet the physical and spiritual needs of the poor, elderly and disabled in our community.
Love INC functions as a “broker” that connects people with unmet needs manned by church volunteers who want to make a difference in lives of others. Clients are referred to Love INC by over 160 difference agencies such as police departments, medical professionals and institutions, Mecklenburg DSS, social workers, counselors, churches, etc. Love INC verifies the need and then coordinates the efforts of church volunteers to meet the need. All of the qualifying clients are people with few resources with about 70% of those clients being either disabled or elderly. In 2010-2011, 2,500 volunteers preformed 5,600 services by giving over 12,000 volunteer hours of ministry.
Love INC has opportunities for individuals or church groups to volunteer including:
- Love ‘n Labor Ministry – provides minor home repair, transportation, yard work, food delivery, house cleaning, shopping, etc. for clients who have few resources, elderly and people with disabilities.
- Adopt An Elder Ministry – this ministry uses a team approach to minister to the client. A Love in the Name of Christ Team is made up of 5 or more people who are trained to minister to the client for a minimum of one year. The team simply adopts the elderly or disabled client as “family” and loves them in the name of Christ.
- Baby Layette Ministry – provides parenting classes and a baby layette (items needed for new born babies) for low-income mothers.
- The Essentials Ministry – provides toiletries for people who are on the Federal Food Stamp Program or cannot afford to buy them. Toilet paper, dish and clothes washing detergent and personal hygiene items are provided for the client.
- Ramp It Up Ministry – constructs handicap ramps for qualifying elderly or people with disabilities of any age.
- Telephone Reassurance Ministry – provides opportunities for volunteers to visit with lonely home-bound elderly or disabled clients by phone.
- Computer Ministry – refurbishes and distributes up-to-date computers to qualifying students and adults.
- Samaritan Saturdays – provides groups with day long ministry projects such as house cleaning, yard work, interior and exterior painting, minor home repair, handicap ramp construction, etc.
Office Volunteers Needed: Love INC functions with the help of office volunteers. Because of increasing needs in our community, there is a need for more people volunteering in the office to call clients and do data entry. You will be trained by the Love INC staff. Please consider giving a few hours every week to help minister to needy clients.
If you want to help those in need through any of these ministry opportunities or donate any other skill that you have, please contact the Love INC office at (704) 536-5588 or e-mail Dale Harlan @ email@example.com .