The Jim and Millie Scholarship Fund provides two scholarships on an annual basis through the Metrolina Baptist Association, funded by the Jim and Millie Briley Endowment Fund as managed by the NC Baptist Foundation.
Ministerial candidates are those who are committed to preparing for full-time Christian ministry in the evangelical Protestant faith or background. Please read the application requirements below for more details on what the scholarship committee is looking for.
Scholarship recipients are selected by the Metrolina Baptist Scholarship Committee. Applicants may apply for only one of the scholarship types: Ministerial or Under Resourced. More information about the Briley Scholarship’s Under Resourced requirements will be posted soon.
Application will open January 1, 2021. Deadline for application is February 15, 2021.
- Be a citizen or legal resident of the United States.
- Must be of the evangelical Protestant faith or background.
- Be committed to preparing for full-time Christian ministry.
- Be accepted for full-time enrollment in a degree program at any institution of higher education. (“Full-time” is as defined by the educational institution where the student plans to attend.)
- Be a member of a local church associated with the Metrolina Baptist Association, Charlotte, NC.
- Exhibit consistent academic achievements.
- Submit two current letters of reference (cannot be from relatives.) One letter must be from your pastor. If your pastor is related to you, please submit a letter of reference from another pastoral staff person at the church.
- Submit a copy of your most recent transcript available. An unofficial copy will be accepted.
- Submit a copy of your FAFSA Electronic Student Aid Report (SAR) to establish a definite need for financial assistance. Please make sure that we can see your full name and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). IMPORTANT: Click here to see the report format the committee will accept. If your report does not look like this example, or if information is incomplete, then your application will be disregarded. You may use your prior year’s report so long as the expiration date has not passed. If you are planning to apply and submit a current year form, please allow up to FIVE business days to receive the SAR report from FASFA. We will not accept late information due to poor planning.
- Applications must be filed by the applicant at the Metrolina Baptist Association website (www.metrolina.org) between the dates of January 1 and the close of business on February 15 of each year to the Metrolina Baptist Scholarship Committee. NO EXEPTIONS WILL BE MADE. Close of business is 5 p.m.
- Shall have a definite need for financial assistance.
- Shall have met entrance requirements and be accepted by a post-secondary institution (college, university, technical/community college).
- Exhibits high moral character, dedication to family, church and community.
III. SCHOLARSHIP GUIDELINES
- Be awarded on an annual basis. Scholarships are not automatically renewed. Students must apply each year to be considered for scholarship assistance. Scholarships can be awarded for a maximum of four years during undergraduate studies and a maximum of three years during graduate studies.
- Be awarded to recipients who are enrolled in a full-time degree program.
- Will be paid to school of choice and not to recipient, but may be delivered to recipient for him/her to deposit with his/her school. The entire amount of the scholarship funds will be available for the fall semester only.
- Consideration of applicants shall be completed by March 31 of each year. Recipient shall be informed by April 15 of each year. Scholarship awards shall be distributed to recipients’ colleges/universities no later than May 31 of each year.
- The Scholarship Committee is authorized to make final decisions on scholarship recipients.
- The Metrolina Baptist Scholarship Committee reserves the right to make no grant in any one year should there be no applicant who, in the opinion of the committee, qualifies according to all requirements of these guidelines. In such event, the committee will advise the North Carolina Baptist Foundation, and may (1) elect to retain the amount available for award in the endowment to be used for awards in the following years, or (2) direct that the amount available for awards in any one year be added to the Jim and Millie Briley Endowment Fund corpus.
- In the event that the Metrolina Baptist Association ceases to exist or decides to no longer retain the name of the Jim & Millie Briley Scholarship Fund in association with this scholarship fund, The North Carolina Baptist Foundation, Inc., will be informed and the funds from the Jim & Millie Briley Endowment Fund shall be directed in the manner directed in the agreement with The NC Baptist Foundation.